- 05 Jan 13 Schweida strikes again at Coast
- 05 Jan 13 Rockdale back in winner's stall
- 05 Jan 13 Kelly, Page in see-sawing battle
- 01 Jan 13 Dream is still alive for MM
- 01 Jan 13 Protest hands Schweida a double
- 01 Jan 13 Playtime eyes third MM bid
- 01 Jan 13 All That burns off rivals
- 01 Jan 13 Biggles gives Doyle a third Goldmarket
- 29 Dec 12 Page smiling after Jantzen's return
- 29 Dec 12 Treichel seals early double
Page-Griffin combo on fire
TRAINER Helen Page and jockey Dan Griffin capped off a successful 24 hours when Seiyo resumed for an easy win at the Gold Coast this afternoon.
Resuming since November, Seiyo ($4) enjoyed the run of the race for Griffin in today’s Sky Racing – Number 1 In Racing Class 1 Hcp (1100m), drawing away for a 1-3/4 length win. Ex-Victorian Brynne ($9) was second with Spring Rose ($26) a head away in third.
Seiyo was the third winner for the Page-Griffin combination in the space of 24 hours after they teamed up for a double with Courtz Boy and Dorchester at Ipswich the day before.
Ipswich last week was a particularly happy hunting ground for Griffin. He also picked up a late winning ride there on Friday on the Brian Smith-trained I’m Busted and earlier in the week won the $150,000 QTIS 600 Plate on the Bryan Guy-trained Regular.
By Jet Spur out of the Success Express mare Sushi Train, Seiyo was an $80,000 graduate of the 2010 Magic Millions sale. The filly, who has now won two of her five starts, is raced by Frank and Christine Cook and Darren Wilson.
Seiyo today gave Page her 22nd winner at the Gold Coast this season and gives her a two-win lead over John Morrisey in the trainers’ premiership.
Griffin, who bagged a double today, has a 14-win lead in the jockeys’ premiership as he strives for a record sixth Gold Coast title.
Story: Neil Archer
Photo: Trackside Photography Pty Ltd