- 05 Jan 13 Schweida strikes again at Coast
- 05 Jan 13 Rockdale back in winner's stall
- 05 Jan 13 Kelly, Page in see-sawing battle
- 01 Jan 13 Dream is still alive for MM
- 01 Jan 13 Protest hands Schweida a double
- 01 Jan 13 Playtime eyes third MM bid
- 01 Jan 13 All That burns off rivals
- 01 Jan 13 Biggles gives Doyle a third Goldmarket
- 29 Dec 12 Page smiling after Jantzen's return
- 29 Dec 12 Treichel seals early double
Mr Slick races to 12th career win
VETERAN sprinter Mr Slick made the most of ideal conditions to post the 12th win of his career at the Gold Coast this afternoon.
A month away from turning nine, Mr Slick ($12) dashed home from well back in the field to race away for a 1-1/2 length win over Kalbo ($11). Go Kingpin ($5) was a half length away third.
Trainer David Scanes said a return to a dead track rating today and the 1300m around the Gold Coast was the perfect conditions for Mr Slick to show his true colours.
“He’s run into slow tracks recently, but with his old joints he just doesn’t like the really wet tracks these days,’’ he said. “A track with just some give in it is perfect for him and with the speed on in this race today everything fell into place.
“He’s now won 12 races and five here at the Gold Coast since I’ve had him – he’s a terrific old horse and he certainly knows when he’s won. He’ll be full of himself around the stables now.’’
Leading trainer John Morrisey is probably getting a bit sick of Mr Slick whose last three wins at the Gold Coast this year have relegated one of his runners into second place.
“John won’t like this happening again,’’ joked Scanes.
Story: Neil Archer
Photo: Trackside Photography Pty Ltd