- 05 Jan 13 Schweida strikes again at Coast
- 05 Jan 13 Rockdale back in winner's stall
- 05 Jan 13 Kelly, Page in see-sawing battle
- 01 Jan 13 Dream is still alive for MM
- 01 Jan 13 Protest hands Schweida a double
- 01 Jan 13 Playtime eyes third MM bid
- 01 Jan 13 All That burns off rivals
- 01 Jan 13 Biggles gives Doyle a third Goldmarket
- 29 Dec 12 Page smiling after Jantzen's return
- 29 Dec 12 Treichel seals early double
Jopa too strong first-up
BEAUDESERT sprinter Jopa made an impressive return to racing with a dominant performance in fast time at the Gold Coast this afternoon.
Resuming since finishing fifth in the Bat Out Of Hell Flying (900m) at the Gold Coast in January, Jopa ($7) downed a smart field of speedsters in today’s Brandworks Cup Benchmark 85 Hcp (900m).
Ridden by Chris Whiteley, Jopa came from midfield on the turn to down Multire Music ($17) by three-quarters of a length with a short head to All That ($4.40) in third.
Jopa clocked a new class record of 51.25, bettering Nickiera’s previous mark of 51.35.
Jopa, a four-year-old son of Tycoon Ruler trained by Jan Pritchard, has now won two of his five starts at the Gold Coast.
“He goes very well here at the Coast and I’ll be looking for another suitable race for him here, but there is also a 1010m at a Monday meeting at Doomben (June 11) that we may also target,’’ said Pritchard.
“He’s a tough little horse and we gave him a nice break after the Bat Out Of Hell. He didn’t get back as far today as he often does and was able to finish over the top of them at the finish.’’
Story: Neil Archer
Photo: Trackside Photography Pty Ltd