- 05 Jan 13 Schweida strikes again at Coast
- 05 Jan 13 Rockdale back in winner's stall
- 05 Jan 13 Kelly, Page in see-sawing battle
- 01 Jan 13 Dream is still alive for MM
- 01 Jan 13 Protest hands Schweida a double
- 01 Jan 13 Playtime eyes third MM bid
- 01 Jan 13 All That burns off rivals
- 01 Jan 13 Biggles gives Doyle a third Goldmarket
- 29 Dec 12 Page smiling after Jantzen's return
- 29 Dec 12 Treichel seals early double
Guineas on cards for Emperor
NEXT month’s Sunshine Coast Guineas is a likely target for well-bred gelding Emperor after his first-up win over 1400m at the Gold Coast today.
Formerly trained at Rosehill by Gerald Ryan, Emperor today was having his first start for Gold Coast trainer Kent Fleming.
Sent out the $2 favourite, Emperor led throughout to win the May 23 Retired Living Raceday C,G& Class 1 Hcp (1400m) by a nose from Feltham ($7). Topweight Five O’Clock ($4.40) was a long neck away third.
Emperor was having his first run since last December. He won a race at Kensington from his only four starts for Ryan.
A $165,000 graduate of the Magic Millions sale, Emperor is by Artie Schiller out of the Gold Ace mare Cotoletta, a half-sister to Commands and Danewin.
“Cotoletta is out of Cotehele House, a daughter of Eight Carat and that’s an outstanding family,’’ said part-owner Glenn Makauskas.
“Emperor’s done a good job to win here first-up at the 1400m and he should get even further.
“We’re looking ahead at a race like the Sunshine Coast Guineas over the mile (1600m) for him and hopefully he can win again in the coming weeks and earn himself a start.’’
The $100,000 XXXX Sunshine Coast Guineas is run at Caloundra on June 30.
Makauskas and his family know all about winning feature races after racing good horses like Stradbroke Hcp winner Robian Steel and Rendoo.
Story: Neil Archer
Photo: Trackside Photography Pty Ltd