- 05 Jan 13 Schweida strikes again at Coast
- 05 Jan 13 Rockdale back in winner's stall
- 05 Jan 13 Kelly, Page in see-sawing battle
- 01 Jan 13 Dream is still alive for MM
- 01 Jan 13 Protest hands Schweida a double
- 01 Jan 13 Playtime eyes third MM bid
- 01 Jan 13 All That burns off rivals
- 01 Jan 13 Biggles gives Doyle a third Goldmarket
- 29 Dec 12 Page smiling after Jantzen's return
- 29 Dec 12 Treichel seals early double
Class prevails for Merryanna
AN EDGE in class told at the finish when Merryanna fought back for a strong first-up win at the Gold Coast this afternoon.
The Maryann Thexton-trained mare went into today’s Scoot International Raceday 18 August Class 1 Hcp (900m) with just one win from her 17 starts. But a look over he record shows that she has taken on pretty strong company for much of her career and she looked to have a decided edge on her rivals today.
Sent out the $2.50 favourite, Merryanna was taken to the front by jockey Dean Tanti but looked in trouble inside the 200m when Neomagic ($4) loomed up strongly and actually gained a momentary slight lead.
But Merryanna found plenty under her topweight of 59kg and drew away from Neomagic to score by a length. Hill And Grace ($13) was a long neck away in third.
“We knew she had a class edge of this field, but her fitness level was what worried me,’’ said Thexton. “The other horse (Neomagic) probably got a half-head in front but she responded strongly and came away for a pretty comfortable win on the line.
“We always set the bar a bit high for this filly as a two- and three-year-old and she ran in some very strong races.
“She ran in the Magic Millions Classic, then wasn’t beaten far behind Satin Shoes in a Listed race at Randwick and also ran fourth to Hot Snitzel in the Ken Russell Classic here at the Coast.
“But now we won’t aim as high with her and can let her race through her classes.’’
Raced by Richard Stachow and Anna Hadden, Merryanna has now won two races from 19 starts but has netted almost $80,000 in prizemoney.
Story: Neil Archer
Photo: Trackside Photography Pty Ltd