- 05 Jan 13 Schweida strikes again at Coast
- 05 Jan 13 Rockdale back in winner's stall
- 05 Jan 13 Kelly, Page in see-sawing battle
- 01 Jan 13 Dream is still alive for MM
- 01 Jan 13 Protest hands Schweida a double
- 01 Jan 13 Playtime eyes third MM bid
- 01 Jan 13 All That burns off rivals
- 01 Jan 13 Biggles gives Doyle a third Goldmarket
- 29 Dec 12 Page smiling after Jantzen's return
- 29 Dec 12 Treichel seals early double
Caught and Wharton strike again
EAGLE Farm trainer Jeff Caught and jockey Kelvin Wharton continued their recent good run at the Gold Coast when Zigurat shed his Maiden status this afternoon.
Caught and Wharton have won races at the Gold Coast on three successive Saturdays, starting with Moment To Remember on May 12 and Aessex on May 19.
Zigurat, a three-year-old son of Dubai Destination out of the Octagonal mare Hadfa, was knocked down to Caught at the 2010 Magic Millions sale for $4000.
Zigurat is raced by a large syndicate of owners, including Paul Arnell.
“There’s a large group of family and friends in this horse and we’re also involved in last week’s winner Aessex, so we’re all having a good run with Jeff at the moment,’’ he said.
“This horse has been racing quite well and wasn’t completely disgraced when he ran in the Rough Habit Plate at his last run, so we knew he’d be hard to beat back in this Maiden field. And he also handles soft ground, so today’s slow rating was no concern.’’
Wharton settled Zigurat ($2.40 fav) back in the field in today’s Slush Puppie Maiden Hcp (1800m) and the gelding finished strongly to win easily by 2-3/4 lengths from Toocoolforschool ($4) with a short head to $41 rank outsider So Sharply holding on for third.
Story: Neil Archer
Photo: Trackside Photography Pty Ltd